Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Gratitiude







We enjoyed a quiet holiday this year as Dad is still recovering from his serious bout of pneumonia. We watched a few special programs about different wars and battles and how the heroes of the past sacrificed their lives for their country. I cannot begin to imagine the fear they must have known, the sorrows they must have felt, and the love of their country and families that they carried in their hearts. Battles like "Pork Chop Hill" where almost every soldier engaged in that battle gave their lives, and yet we seldom hear about that battle of World War II and hundreds of others. It still goes on today in Iraq. I am so profoundly grateful for all of those who have given their all, who have suffered in every way possible way, and died for the freedoms that we enjoy every day. I just can't take it in, but I know they are in the arms of our Heavenly Father, for they laid down their young lives, on behalf of their brothers and sisters. May we never forget, and always be grateful for all that has been done for us, and may we constantly pray for those still in harm's way at this very hour.






We bought a new flag for our pole this holiday weekend. I never tire of looking at it and remembering the great blessing of being a citizen of this nation. We also added a bunch of new chicks! They are adorable, and this batch gets to live in the utility room for awhile. The first ones I raised a couple of months ago, I kept in the barn. They didn't see or hear me much, and consequently they are a bunch of wild orphans, and scatter every time I come near them. So, I thought it might be better to become the "mother hen" to this group, so that they will come to me. I'll never forget the cute little chick that we hatched on the kitchen counter a few years ago. The first voice it heard was Brooke's and it followed her around forever after. She was its mother.



The lilacs were blooming in spectacular glory just in time for the holiday weekend. They are so fragrant, and fill the whole farm with their fragrance as the breeze blows. I have also just planted some beautiful herbs, and the rain this past weekend has made them smell so good. As I pass by them, I get a whiff of rosemary, then one of mint, and some wonderful lavender. The earth is so full and then some, and I am so thankful for all the blessings we enjoy.






2 comments:

Straight to Your Hart said...

Thank you for your sweet expressions on a special day.

"God Bless the USA!"

Love You Dearly, Mel

Unknown said...

What a beautiful blog entry. You reminded me of what is truly important. I too, love seeing the flag and cry everytime we see and sing the Star Spangled Banner. I love you.