Thursday, April 10, 2008

Homemade Vegetable Stock


Yesterday as I gazed at my bare garden spot, I hungered for fresh good food. So I whipped up some vegetable stock from some fresh veggies, and made a wonderful soup for dinner. As I put these healthy, colorful veggies in the pot, it almost looked like a bouquet. Yummy looking, smelling, and tasting as well as healthy-it doesn't get any better than that. I am so grateful for my health and that of my family, and for the abundance of food we enjoy.

Recipe: yields 12 cups

14 cups water

2 onions

2 leeks (white and pale green parts only)

4 carrots

4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped

1/4 bunch parsley

4 bay leaves

4 cloves garlic-slightly bruised

1 (6 inch) piece kombu (don't leave this out!)

6 whole black peppercorns

Combine all the ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat then decrease the heat to medium-low. Simmer gently uncovered for one hour, or until the broth is flavorful. Strain into a large bowl and discard the solids. This broth will keep two days, covered and refrigerated. *other veggies can be added.

2 comments:

Straight to Your Hart said...

Not only good looking but can you imagine those colors on a layout or card (ok, sick but had to bring that up). Love the recipe and am going to try out. What a little chef you are...grarrr!! Love you, Mel

Unknown said...

yummy! Can't wait to try that one!